Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Embryo Transfer

Today was the big embryo transfer!  Only 2 of the blastocysts made it to day 5.  According to Dr. H, one was average and one was really good.  Unfortunately, we didn't have any to freeze...  Stick babies stick!

Some Dr.'s do embryo transfers on day 3 because so many don't make it to day 5.  Some theorize that the longer they are out of the womb, the harder it is on them.  Other Dr.'s theorize that those that die before day 5 won't survive anyway, so waiting ensures transferring the strongest and healthiest ones.

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer.

Other than some mild cramping, I feel great!  Its easiest to do an embryo transfer with a full bladder.  Oh my that was fun!  I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to hold it and would go during the procedure.  I had a nightmare about it last night.  I wonder if anyone has ever had an accident.  After the transfer, I had to lay flat for an hour.   WITH A FULL BLADDER!  My options were have the Dr. put in a catheter, go in a bed pan, or hold it.  I chose to hold it.  When my hour was up, I had Shawn push the little red call button to get a nurse and make sure it was okay to get up.  I made it, but I wasn't sure I was going to.  While laying there watching TV, Shawn kept talking about a kinked water hose.  All I could think about was un-kinking that water hose.  I kept telling him he wasn't helping me at all.  He thought it was funny.  Men....

Again, there were several people in the room for this procedure.  Dr., nurses, embryologist, ultrasound tech, ultrasound tech in training, Shawn, etc.  There must have been 6 or 7 people involved.  Some Dr.'s do not do embryo transfers with an ultrasound.  How in the world could they be sure they got the embryo's where they needed to go?  In my opinion, Dr. H is a good Dr. and knows what he's doing.  The lab told me he has a great record going.  4 out of 4 IVF's resulted in pregnancy in September and 5 out of 6 did in October.  I like those odds.

It was fascinating to watch the whole thing on the ultrasound screen.  They even printed a picture off for us.  If you look at the pic below, you can see an arrow on top of an oval.  The oval is my uterus.  At the top of my uterus, you can see 2 little white dots close together.  That's our blastocysts.  Scanning the picture isn't as clear, but its the best I could do.

When the kids got off the bus, Zac asked me if they put my eggs back in my belly today.  He wanted to know how many and if it hurt.  LOL!  He's been obsessed with "do things hurt" this whole process.  I don't think he's going to handle pain well...

Have a great night!  Think sticky thoughts!

~Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment